It’s common to have a lot of questions before your newborn photography session. Use this blog as a how-to guide on preparing for your upcoming newborn session:
1. What should I expect during my newborn session?
I’ll spend 2 to 3 hours photographing your baby. I allow enough time for your baby to eat, for me to clean up messes and settle your baby if needed. It also accounts for time to change setups and try different poses.
The studio will be very warm. The temperature can range from 78 to 80 degrees, so you will want to dress appropriately. Keeping the studio warm helps the babies fall into a deep sleep which allows me to pose them and undress them without them getting unsettled or cold.
2. What should I do right before my newborn session?
I always recommend feeding the baby right before you leave for the session. It’s also important to allow yourself enough time to feed (i.e. if the baby will nurse for 10 minutes on each side then plan accordingly). Of course, you are also welcome to feed the baby whenever needed during the session.
Newborns tend to fall asleep right after a full feeding. If you are breastfeeding, feel free to bring a pumped bottle, I can always feed baby in-between poses if needed. If you are not breastfeeding, please bring your baby’s formula with you.
• Bring plenty of wipes and diapers as we will be changing the baby several times throughout the session.
• Trim their nails. When they are born, their nails are razor sharp and they are likely to scratch their faces. Trimming nails and/or putting newborn mittens on the baby will help them avoid scratching their face.
• Please dress your infant in a zip-up sleeper without an onesie underneath, as it’s easiest to take off and less disturbing to your baby. Also, please put the baby’s diaper on very loosely before the session to avoid any marks.
• Grab a pacifier even if you do not plan on letting your baby use one regularly. Pacifiers help soothe babies. When I change poses the pacifier will help with the transition.
3. How can I prepare in advance for my session?
For mom and dad:
Getting your photo taken with your newborn is so important, as we can capture how little they are and that special connection that you share with your infant. I recommend wearing a neutral colored top – avoid any bold prints, colors, and patterns.
Feel free to bring snacks for yourself. The newborn photography session can last 2-3 hours, and if you are breastfeeding you might get a little hungry, as you are burning more calories than normal.
Most of the session, you will be able to relax on the couch in my studio. You may feel the need to comfort your baby when he/she seems unsettled or starts crying, but please refrain from reacting. Babies can sense your feelings, so please try to relax during your newborn photography session as I have found when parents are relaxed, baby is relaxed too.
Please let me know before our session if siblings plan on being photographed with your newborn so that I can plan your newborn photography session accordingly. Also, please dress your child in neutral clothing that is fitted.
I ask that siblings be brought separately as it’s very difficult for them to sit through a 2-3 hour session in 80 degrees. Most of my clients will have a dad or a grandparent take the sibling to Tree of Life Play & Cafe in Hilliard after we have taken the sibling and/or family shots. It’s a great place for kids to play, and they have snacks and lunch.
I want you to come away from this session with a pleasant experience and images you will cherish forever. Thank you for trusting me to capture one of the most wonderful moments in your life.
Looking to book a newborn session? Contact me here!